Brushing your teeth every morning and night doesn’t necessarily imply you’re giving your mouth all the care it needs. Sometimes, even a regular oral hygiene routine could end up leaving gaps if you follow some not-so-great habits at the sink.
By understanding and following proper brushing techniques and ensuring you have the right oral care accessories in your cabinet, you can make sure you have all of your bases covered when going for an oral health regime.
10 Dental Care Tips
- Always brush your teeth before bed: Brushing twice a day is a healthy oral habit, and brushing before bed is equally important.
- Use the right brushing technique: Ideally hold your brush at 45 degrees and go with small up and down as well as back and forth strokes.
- Use the correct type of toothbrush: Most dentists recommend brushing two minutes a day, using a brush that has soft bristles.
- Don’t skip brushing the tongue: Many people overlook brushing the tongue, but it is important for removal of bacteria and prevention of bad breath.
- Avoid Tobacco products: Using tobacco products can lead to teeth stains, foul smell and dental complications. Sometimes, it even leads to oral cancer.
- Minimize sugar products and snacks: Sugar turns into acid in the mouth and this can lead to enamel erosion and tooth cavities.
- Increase the water intake: Water intake is actually effective as the water washes away sugar and acid on the teeth enamel.
- Replace your toothbrush regularly: Dentists all over the world recommend changing your brush every three months or immediately after an illness.
- Include a daily dose of calcium: Intake of foods that are rich in calcium and vitamin D helps in improving the teeth strength, gums and even bones.
- Pay a regular visit to your dentist: Paying a regular visit to the dentist can help identify and address cavities, plaque, gingivitis and bad breath.
Why Dental Care is Necessary?
Everyone wants to enjoy the benefits of tip-top oral hygiene: a pearly white smile, fresh-smelling breath, and healthy pink gums. Making sure your mouth stays healthy is a major reason for visiting the dentist — and there’s nothing like that squeaky-clean feeling you get all around your mouth after you’ve had a routine checkup and a professional cleaning! Hopefully, you see your dentist twice a year; but in between visits, it’s up to you to maintain a healthy mouth.
What Can go Wrong if You Ignore Oral Health?
Tooth decay can prove to be painful and can sometimes lead to crowns, fillings or inlays. If tooth decay is not treated early, the nerve endings near the tooth can get infected, causing an abscess.
This can then lead to root canal treatment or in a worst case scenario, even tooth removal and dental implant. It is imperative to maintain a good oral routine to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Gum disease is common and, if no attention is paid, it may even lead to bone loss around the teeth.
In some cases it may even lead to teeth loosening and finally the teeth being lost. Gum disease is preventable and it should be identified and treated as early as possible. It can be kept under control with regular cleaning sessions and check-ups, preventing further problems. If teeth are lost, it may be necessary to fill the gaps with bridges, dentures or implants.
The Bottom Line
By following the above mentioned tips, you can naturally keep your teeth healthy and avoid the expenses of dental care to a great extent.
However, if you seek the help of a dental professional, who is also a pediatric dentist in California, USA, you can pay a visit to California Shine Dental. It is a Best Dental Clinic in San Jose.
These 10 dental care tips will not only help you maintain the health of your teeth but also boost your confidence. Having healthy teeth and a beautiful smile are the main goals for your dental health.
Thank you all for your enthusiasm towards oral health. We hope you have smiled because of us!